UFINET Buys NB, Enters Rio

July 19th, 2021 by · Leave a Comment

There was a bit of metro fiber M&A down in Latin America that came down on Friday.  UFINET has made a deal down in Brazil giving them an instant presence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The wholesale fiber infrastructure carrier says that it has entered into an agreement to acquire NB Telecom.  

NB Telecom operates more than 500km of fiber throughout the second largest city in Brazil, a footprint that connects up the major data centers and business districts of the city.  That will give UFINET the sort of start it likes to have, paralleling a similar deal from two years ago when they acquired Netell and entered Sao Paolo, which of course is an even bigger Brazilian network infrastructure market.

UFINET operates assets like this across Latin America, with a total of 75,000km route miles of fiber in total.  That footprint was at one point focused on Central America, but has served as a consolidation platform for similar assets across the region.  The company is 79% owned by CINVEN, with ENEL having acquired the other 21% a few years back.  Rio is probably not the only deal on the company's radar. 

 

If you haven't already, please take our Reader Survey! Just 3 questions to help us better understand who is reading Telecom Ramblings so we can serve you better!

Categories: Mergers and Acquisitions · Metro fiber

Discuss this Post


Leave a Comment

You may Log In to post a comment, or fill in the form to post anonymously.





  • Ramblings’ Jobs

    Post a Job - Just $99/30days
  • Event Calendar