Int’l Roundup: Level 3, Orange, Rosenergoatom, Superloop

December 1st, 2015 by · Leave a Comment

As we in the US head for the gym to work off the Thanksgiving feast, here is a quick look at news from overseas where turkey isn't a thing:

Level 3 was busy down in Latin America. They've activated a new power substation at its data center in Cotia in the São Paulo metro area. The expansion brings 20MW of power to Cotia, which itself only consumes 78MW, and will be enough to quadruple the customer base there.

After rumors put Orange in talks with Telecom Italia yesterday, both companies spoke up to deny anything specific is going on. However, they are definitely assessing their inorganic options across the continent, and have hired advisors to help with the process. Seems to me that both companies have better options in the short to mid term.

Russia will soon have a new, huge data center to offer the market from an unexpected source. Rosenergoatom, the operator of all the country's nuclear power plants, is building a giant 80MW data center near its plant in Tver, 100 miles northwest of Moscow. They'll be keeping 10% of the data center for their own use, while the other 90% will go toward feeding the demand of content providers who need to host personal data locally according to new laws.

And in Singapore, Superloop's buildout continues. According to Capacity Magazine, the dark fiber builder has expanded its reach to the cable landing stations in Tuas and Katong, bringing them onto the same infrastructure as 5 key data centers so far. Superloop also bought APEXN back in October, and looks like an independent APAC player to keep an eye on for 2016.

If you haven't already, please take our Reader Survey! Just 3 questions to help us better understand who is reading Telecom Ramblings so we can serve you better!

Categories: Datacenter · Energy · Mergers and Acquisitions · Metro fiber

Discuss this Post


Leave a Comment

You may Log In to post a comment, or fill in the form to post anonymously.





  • Ramblings’ Jobs

    Post a Job - Just $99/30days
  • Event Calendar